NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): April 17 - April 23


The Open is over and I just returned from a trip to Osaka, Japan. I wasn't able to drop into a gym while there but I did get a shirt. I'm back to going to the gym regularly and this past week was a lot of fun.

Strength

Back Squat - 7x5 at 70% (275 lb.)

We went up in weight for the back squat. Previous weight percentage was 60% (255 lb.) which I was able to finish. This squat session was heavier but with less reps. I wasn't able to finish all the reps within the allotted time. I completed four sets at 275 lb. The weight felt okay on the third set but it was challenging. I tried to focus on my breathing and bracing my core. If I had more time, I could have finished all the reps.

WOD

FGB Style - 2 Rounds, 2 Minutes Per Station

Box jump overs (24 in.)
Russian kettle bell swings (54 lb.)
Rope climbs (15 ft.)
Rest 1 minute

 This was my favorite workout of the week. It had fun movements, it wasn't too long and we had a short rest period. I decided on a pacing before the start of the workout. I would try to complete 30 reps of box jumps and kettle bell swing and at least two rope climbs. Since the class was a bit large, we started on different stations. I decided to start with the rope climbs.

My forearms and wrist have been giving me issues and I didn't want to push it. I tried one rep on the rope and I felt great. My feet were the biggest issue surprisingly. After two or three reps my grip would be weak and I would then wait for the next movement. The box jumps started off great. I decided to do half turns in the air to make the transitions easier. I would do the reps in sets of 10 - 15 and finished with 30 reps. The kettle bells were good but I was winded by the time I got to this movement. My grip was weak and I ended up doing around 10 reps at a time. I finished this movement with 30 reps as well.

Round two was more difficult but I tired to push through it. I was able to get two reps on the rope, about 20 reps on the box jumps and 30 reps on the kettle bell swings. I wanted to do more reps on the box jumps but my legs were not having it. If I didn't squat heavy that day I could have done more, maybe. Overall, this was a fun workout. I like the FGB format and I hope to retest this soon.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment