NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): October 19 - October 25

Monday

Skill Work - Turkish Get Up

Worked on some Turkish get ups.

Weightlifting Complex 

1 power clean + 3 front squats (115 lb. - 215 lb.)

With the deadlift cycle ending last week, the new cycle will be focused on Olympic weightlifting (Oly). Usually the gym has an Oly fundamentals class on Saturdays but I'm not able to make it most weeks. Incorporating more Oly work into weekly classes is exactly what I need to improve my lifts. The next few weeks are going to be fun, and todays weightlifting complex was a great start to the cycle.

I haven't done heavy power cleans since April with my heaviest lift at 205 lb. I hit a PR on my power clean at 215 lb and I think I could have gone a bit heavier. I was surprised I was able to clean it since the lift didn't feel great. The pull was okay but the extension and catch was a bit sloppy. Hopefully I will continue to get better over the next few weeks.

WOD

AMReps 9 minutes

3 thrusters (75 lb.)
3 lateral burpee over barbell
Add three reps every round

The burpees were my speed bump. The thrusters were not too bad. I was able to go unbroken until I hit the round of 12. I finished this workout with 15 thrusters and four burpees for a total of 79 reps.

Weighted Plank Hold - 3x60 seconds, 35 lb.

Finished the day with some weighted plank holds. I was able to hold the first round of 60 seconds. I had to take a five seconds rest during the last two rounds

Tuesday

Skill Work

Started the day with a short warm up consisting of shoulder dislocates, wrist stretches, and handstand holds. The skill for today was a handstand walk progression. Three sets of around the plate handstand walks with 1:30 of rest in between. Since I can not do handstand walks I had to scale down to using a 24" box. It was getting a bit tough around the third set but I managed to finish. The next skill portion was six sets of 30 second handstand shoulder taps. I had to scale this portion as well since I'm not strong enough to complete 1 shoulder tap. I used a 24" box to scale and finished the shoulder taps fairly quickly. The hard part is trying to tap my shoulders since I don't have the flexibility.

Strength - 5x5

Strict ring dips
Strict ring push ups
Strict handstand push ups

I started having trouble with the ring dips and handstand push ups around the fourth set. My triceps were fatigued as well as my shoulders. I had to take rests in between a few reps because I didn't want to sacrifice form. The ring push ups were not too bad and didn't give me trouble through out the workout.

WOD - Partnered, 25 minute time cap

3000 m - Row
200 - Russian kettlebell swings (54 lb.)
100 - Handstand push ups

I was partnered with my fiance and we split the reps in half. I was able to do this workout without scaling while she scaled the kettlebell swings and the handstand push ups. I was able to keep a steady pace of around 2:00 per 500 m on the row. I had a harder time with the kettlebell swings, I was only able to do 20 reps at a time. I had the strength to do more reps but my grip would start to give around rep 15. Need to work on grip exercises or do more heavy kettlebell swings. The handstand push ups were difficult as well. The skill and strength work took a toll on my shoulders and triceps. I was able to do some kipping handstand push ups but not much. We were able to finish 70 reps of the handstand push ups at time cap.

Wednesday

Started Wednesday with a short medicine ball warm up that consisted of sit ups, cleans and Russian twists. After the warm up we started on warming up for the days skill/strength workout, jerks. 

Jerk Complex

1 push press + 1 power jerk + 1 split jerk

I think the first half of this weightlifting cycle is going to be focused on clean and jerks. We started with power cleans and front squats and on Wednesday we did jerks. I've been wanting to practice more jerks since I'm not proficient in that movement. My goals for this workout were to practice heavy jerks and work on my rack position. Started with a weight of 75 lb. and worked up to 185 lb. I think I could have gone a bit heavier but I was on my seventh set and the reps caught up with me.

My split jerk felt good, but I need more work. My drive could be better as well as my foot work. I will try to do some footwork drills at home to see if it helps. I worked on my rack position, mainly keeping a full grip on the bar. I need to work on my mobility to make it easier to grip the bar.

WOD - Tabata, 8 rounds

Knees to elbows
Box jumps
Dumbbell snatch (40 lb.)

My main goal for this workout was to push the intensity and stay consistent. The intensity portion of that goal went out the window after the first round of knees to elbows. I completed eight reps in the first round but I knew that was not sustainable. My hands were feeling raw and my abs started to tighten up but by the last round I was down to three reps. During the box jump set, I kept a pace of five reps per round. I was still tired from the knees to elbows and I was doing step downs instead of rebounding. I was starting to feel fatigued by the time I reached the dumbbell snatch set. I wasn't happy with my pace but I don't think I could have pushed myself harder. I was keeping a four rep per round pace but it was becoming more difficult towards the end.

Friday

Strength

Pause front squat + 2 front squat

The strength portion for Friday was a heavy pause front squat (three seconds) plus two front squats with a four second decent. My goal for this workout is to keep an active bottom position and to at least hit 225 lb. or more. I controlled the weight into the bottom position of the squat while still keeping tension in my legs and core. I managed to hit 255 lb. on the complex which is also a new front squat PR! 

WOD
FGB style - 4 rounds

Double unders
Wall balls (20 lb.)
Hand release push ups
Rest 1 minute

I didn't do as well as I wanted in this workout. I wanted to at least finish 60 reps on double unders, and 15 on wall balls and hand release push ups. After the first three rounds I was able to finish 45-50 reps on the double unders and 10-15 on the wall balls and hand release push ups. The last round had my lowest reps. I couldn't string many double unders together, tripping up every 5 - 15 reps. Fatigue played a factor in the wall balls and push ups. I finished the workout with 282 reps.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!


Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment