NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): September 18 - September 24

If you want to see my workout week, check out my Beyond the Whiteboard profile.

Monday

Strict Press - Establish a 1RM

My heaviest strict press was around 155 about two years ago, I was able to do two reps. Last year I was able to lift 145 lb. for three. I was hoping to lift at least 145 lb. but I wasn't confident. I loaded 95 lb. on the bar and started to warm up, adding 20 lb. until I reached 135 lb. I added on 10 lb. and attempted the lift. I was able to complete it, but barely. I knew 155 was going to be tough. I attempted the lift but was barely able to get it higher than a few inches off my shoulders. I racked the bar and waited a few minutes. I attempted a second lift and the bar went lower than the first attempt. I called it quits but I was happy with my result. I hope after this strength cycle, I'll be able to lift 165 lb. 

WOD - AMRAP 12 Minutes

12 box jumps
9 push press (50 kg.)
6 lateral burpee over bar

After my failed lifts on the strict press, it was time for a short amrap. Plans for the workout, jump for all box jumps, unbroken on push press and survive the burpees over bar. I wanted to finish at least five rounds. My pace for the workout would have to be 2:15 per round.

The first three rounds of the workout went well. I kept up with the pace and finished them under six minutes. The fourth round is where I hit a wall. I was breathing pretty hard at this point and too about 30 seconds to catch my breath. I slipped on one of the box jumps during this round but thankfully I didn't hit my shins on the box. I focused on the movement and took a few deep breaths and continued. The push presses were not bad but my shoulder were wearing out. I had to break up the reps in the fifth round. The burpees were the worst. It was only six reps but they were the hardest six reps. I tried to hold the standard of taking off with two feet and landing with two feet but I would mess up and do a one legged hop over. I was frustrated and exhausted but I trudged on. I met my goal and finished this workout with five rounds and three box jumps, barely.

Tuesday

Snatch Complex - Three Position Snatch: Ground, Above Knee, Hip

I'm still working on the snatch. We did a heave one rep last week but I'm still a little rusty. I started at 40 kg and worked up to 65 kg. I felt pretty good throughout the positions but the hang is the hardest. My grip gives out during the pull. I attempted 70 kg but I missed on the hang. 

WOD - For Time (10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1)

Power Snatch (95 lb.)
Overhead Squat (95 lb.)

This was going to be a difficult workout. 55 reps of snatches at 95 lb. was a lot, especially after the snatch complex. I planned to break up the snatch reps in half and go almost unbroken on overhead squats since it's my stronger movement.

The power snatches from rounds 8-10 were broken up into two sets with 15 - 20 seconds in between sets. The overhead squats were done unbroken. By the round of seven, I could feel the fatigue set in. My lower back was starting to get tight and my shoulders were feeling weak. I started breaking the sets into three which took longer but I was able to keep a good pace. I felt like quitting around round five and I almost gave up. My wife and coaches pushed me and I finished the workout in 13:27. 

Wednesday

Bench Press - Find a 1RM

The last time I did heavy bench presses was last year. It's not a huge part of the programming at the box and I haven't been doing it on my own. My last 1RM was 240 lb. and I didn't know how well I was going to do that day. I did a typical warm up. Starting at 95 lb. and working up with 30 - 50 lb. increments. I maxed my bench press at 205 lb. which is 40 lb. lower than my previous max. I have to work back up to that number over the next few weeks.

WOD - Elizabeth, Time Cap - 10 Minutes

21-15-9

Clean (135 lb.)
Ring dips

This was going to be a tough workout. The last time I attempted this workout, I almost passed out. I haven't been working on my dips but I wanted to do this Rx. I would push until I had to scale the ring dips. I decided to break up the reps into three sets of seven. The first round of 21 cleans went well. I was able to do the sets unbroken. The ring dips were a different story. I was able to complete seven reps but I was moving too slow. Given enough time, I would have been able to complete this workout Rx but I wanted to keep moving and finish most of the reps under time cap. Even the scaled ring dips were taking a toll on my arms. My arms were shot but I was able to finish 15 scaled dips when time cap was called. If I had another three minutes I would have been able to finish this workout. Need to work on my dips.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!


Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment