NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

The 2018 CrossFit Open: 18.1 - Damn You Toes to Bar!


18.1 - Can't Feel My Abs or Hands

Raise your hand if this was you this past weekend. That's a lot of bandaged hands! After a week in Tokyo and not working out at all, I knew this was going to be rough. Even if I did workout last week, it was going to be hard. 20 minute workouts are the worst but I'm up for anything.

18.1

8 Toes to Bar
10 Hang Dumbbell Clean and Jerks (50 lb.)
14 Cal. Row

The Dumbbell is Back

Like last year, we're starting off the open with a new movement, dumbbell hang clean and jerks.I would have preferred the snatch but the open is about pushing yourself and being uncomfortable. The dumbbell weight wasn't going to be the problem since it's not too heavy of a weight. The toes to bar and row however were going to kill me.

Game Plan

I wanted to complete the toes to bar in sets of four and keep going until I would have to start singles. I was sure I could handle the dumbbell clean and jerks and go unbroken for all reps. It's a new standard and I would have to be mindful of all the points of performance. The row was going to be a grind. I usually die out on long rows and 14 cals. was going to be rough. I didn't want to start out with a crazy pace but I wanted to stick around 800-900 cals/hr.

The Workout

The workout started off well. I stuck to my game plan and it worked up until round four. At the start of round four, my abs started to cramp. I had to take a few deep breaths and stretch but I had to start doing singles. I also had to take a few moments in between reps since I couldn't recover fast enough which slowed me down considerably. I was getting no repped on the dumbbell clean and jerk transitions because I wasn't standing up fully for the first rep. It was an extra rep but I wasn't frustrated with it. The row was a grind. First four rounds went well. I was able to keep a pace of 900 cals/hr but had to drop to a pace of 750 - 850 cals/hr in the later rounds.

It was a tough workout. My hands ripped slightly but it wasn't bad. I was able to complete six rounds at the end of 20 minutes. It's not a great score but I gave it my all. In the coming weeks I'll pray for a heavy workout. A clean and jerk  or snatch would be awesome. I hope your 18.1 went better than mine and good luck in the coming weeks.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment