NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week as RX (Probably Scaled): August 31 - September 6

This was a short week. I was only able to make it to the gym on Monday and Wednesday.

Monday

Floor Press - Find 3 RM (225 lb.)

Todays strength section was find a 3 rep max floor press. Since the bench press cycle was a few months ago I had some numbers I could base it on. I was shooting for a bit heavier than my bench press 3 rep max of 205 lb. and was able to lift 225 lb. for the floor press.

WOD - 8 minutes: Run 1000 m, max effort dumbbell snatches with remaining time. Rest 2 minutes. 6 minute AMRAP: 3 muscle ups, 6 dumbbell lunges, 9 dumbbell swings. Rest 2 minutes. 4 minutes: max effort burpees.

Monday Funday! At first glance I knew I was going to have problems with the dumbbells especially at the RX weight. I scaled down to 50 lb. dumbbells. I am not proficient in my dumbbell movements so it was best to keep the weight lower in order to maintain form and not lose control of the dumbbell. The other part that worried me was the run. The last time I ran a 1000 m, I finished in 7 minutes. Leaving me no time to catch my breath and do some dumbbell snatches. 

I finished the run in 5:30 which was very surprising. I managed to complete 15 alternating dumbbell snatches as well. I had to scale the muscle ups and did 2 pull ups and 1 ring dip for every muscle up rep. I finished 3 rounds and up to 6 dumbbell swings. At this point I feel extremely exhausted and only managed 25 burpees. 

Wednesday

Deadlift  - Find 3 RM (375 lb.)

I didn't get to find my 1 rep max during the last deadlift cycle so I wanted to push myself on this one. My previous 3 RM was 325 lb. and I wanted to see how heavy I could go. I managed to lift 375 lb. making it my new 3 RM PR!  

WOD - 5 rounds for time: 10 Deadlifts (225 lb.), 10 Box Jumps (30 in.), 100 ft walking lunge. Rest 1 minute between rounds.

This wod was very humbling. After coming off the 3 rep max deadlift pr, I felt confident going into the wod. I decided to not scale the deadlifts and box jumps. I was more worried about the deadlifts but I should have been more concerned about the box jumps and walking lunges. After round 2 I decided to lower my box to 24 inches and do step ups. My quads were on fire and by the end of the wod. I should have been more mindful of those two movements but it's a learning experience. I finished in 13:46.

I'm starting to realize that I need to push myself more. I know I've been overly cautious in my workouts but if the last few weeks have proven anything, it's that I can do it.

"You don't need harder workouts, you need to go harder in your workouts" - Tommy Hackenbruk.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment