NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): May 14 - May 20

Check out my Instagram @8bit_barbell to see some lifts from this week.

Monday

Overhead Squat -  Find a 3RM

I set a new 3RM at the end of April and I was determined to set a new one. My goal was to at least lift 225 lb. I warmed up to 226 lb. and started my lift. The jerk felt great and was able steady the weight overhead. I almost lost the first rep because I was slightly off balance. I was able to gain control of the weight and complete the rep. The last two reps were quick and had no issues with the reps. This lift was a multiple PR lift. I PR'd my overhead squat of 225 lb. by 1 lb. and my 3RM by 11 lb.

WOD - For Time, 20 Minute Time Cap

4 Rounds

25 Squat Cleans (75 lb.)
Run (400 m)

After that overhead squat PR, I was ready to take on this workout. However, I greatly underestimated this WOD. At 75 lb. I was sure I could get through all the squat cleans, and take it easy on the run. The workout started okay but I knew I was in trouble after the first round. My 3RM attempts caught up with me and I could feel the burn in my legs. I kept a steady pace during the cleans, doing fast singles but I had to change it up in round two. I decided to go with a 5x5 scheme with a short rest in between sets. This worked but I took too long during the rest. I finished this workout with two rounds, 25 squat cleans and 200 m.

Tuesday

Snatch Complex 

Power Snatch + Hang Snatch + Overhead Squat

Haven't worked on snatches in awhile but I was excited to try this out. The movements felt good and I can tell that I'm getting stronger. My technique still needs a lot of work after watching the replay. I'm pulling the bar too high and I'm slow to get under the bar. I was able to PR this complex at 165 lb. which led me to try any max out my snatch at 175 lb.

Snatch

This attempt was not programmed but I felt good doing the complex that I decided to try this out. After two failed attempts, I was able to successfully lift one at 175 lb. While I missed two tries, I felt very optimistic about future reps. Like the snatch complex I need to work on technique and my snatch suffered from the same problems. I'm pulling too high and moving too slow. This means that if I fix my technique, I could lift more weight!

Partner WOD - AMRAP 18 Minutes

Run (1000m)
Row (1000m)
Then in remaining time, AMRAP
30 Deadlifts (225 lb.)
90 Double Unders

This was a fun partner workout that wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be. We split the run into 100 m sprints and split the row into 250 m sets. The deadlifts and double unders were split into sets of five and 45 respectively.

The run was not too bad since the distance was short. I was going at a quick pace but was not sprinting and the rest in between each run was enough for me to catch my breath. Towards the end of the run I slowed down a bit but it wasn't too much. The row was much easier. I kept a quick pace (1:45/500m) and was not breathing too hard when we finished this part of the workout around minute 11 or 12.

The rest of the workout was tough. After all that work, the deadlifts felt very heavy. Breaking up the reps into sets of five really helped and I was able to go unbroken on all my sets. The double unders however were not as smooth. I would do a few and then break because I hit my feet or my arms were too tired. This was the longest part of the workout since I couldn't string a lot of them together. After 18 minutes we finished with 2 rounds, 30 deadlifts and 36 double unders.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment