NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): November 2 - November 8

Monday

Warm Up - Cindy 

AMRAP 5 minutes

5 pull ups
10 push ups 
15 air squats

Monday Funday started off with Cindy. I've done this warm up before and I usually finish a round a minute. I wasn't as energetic and I felt a bit drained. It was probably because I didn't mobilize before class, traffic was a bit busy. I finished four rounds which wasn't too bad, at least my hips and legs were warmed up for the back squats.

Back Squat - 4 at 60% (225 lb.), 4 at 70% (255 lb.), 2x4 at 80% (285 lb.)

The strength portion for today was a moderately heavy back squat. I warmed up with 135 lb. and worked up to my first set at 225 lb. I haven't done back squats since early October but I was able to adapt quickly. During my set at 80% my form was a little off. I could feel myself going onto my toes instead of my heels but I was able to adjust. One of my coaches suggested that I slow down on the decent. He noticed that I will usually ride the bounce out of the bottom of the squat and a more controlled decent will help with stability.

WOD - For Time

10 dumbbell snatch, alternating arms (40 lb.)
--then--
3 rounds:
6 burpees
12 wall balls (20 lb.)
--then--
20 dumbbell snatch, alternating arms (40 lb.)
--then--
3 rounds:
6 burpees
12 wall balls (20 lb.)
--then--
30 dumbbell snatch, alternating arms (40 lb.)
--then--
6 burpees
12 wall balls (20 lb.)

This workout was going to be challenging because of the movements. The workout was a sprint with a 20 minute time cap, and I wasn't sure if I was going finish under it. I'm not proficient with dumbbell snatches and the heavier weights give me trouble. The Rx for the dumbbell snatches was 70 lb. but I had to scale to 40 lb. I think I could have done it at 50 lb. but I'll try that next time. Burpees are burpees and I suck at them. They are easily the biggest speed bump for me in any workout. I was able to keep consistent reps and finish each round unbroken. Surprisingly, the hardest part of this workout was the wall balls. After the back squats, my legs were feeling a bit weak and the wall balls were not helping. I wasn't able to complete 12 reps unbroken, breaking up most rounds in sets of six or less. I finished the workout in 21 minutes since the coaches let me finish beyond the time cap.

Tuesday

Started Tuesday with a short medicine ball warm up. The movements were medicine ball cleans, sit ups and walking lunges. I used a 16 lb. medicine ball. 

Power Clean Complex - Find a one rep heavy

1 power clean + 1 hang squat clean + 1 jerk

Continuing with the Oly lifts, Tuesdays strength/skill portion was a clean a jerk complex. I didn't have a goal weight but I wanted to at least hit my power clean PR of 215 lb. I started with 95 lb. and worked up to 205 lb. with six sets in between. I was able to power clean 205 lb. but I wasn't able to complete the hang clean. My grip was a factor and I wasn't able to re establish a hook grip after the power clean. I don't think I was taking enough rest and I maybe had too many sets in between. I would like to attempt this lift after I have more rest and less reps in between.

WOD - 9 minute AMRAP

9 lateral bar jumps
9 hang power cleans (95 lb.)
9 deadlifts (95 lb.)

This workout was deceivingly hard. Even though the bar light, the reps add up fast. The most difficult part of this workout were the hang power cleans. I wasn't able to complete them unbroken instead breaking them up into sets of five and less. My grip was still an issue, and I tried my best to hold onto the bar. The lateral bar jumps and deadlifts were easier. I was able to complete them unbroken during all rounds. I was able to complete five rounds.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment