NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): November 16 - November 22

Monday

Snatch Complex -  65% - 75% of Max Snatch (115 lb.)

Hang power snatch + overhead squat + snatch balance

I haven't done snatches in awhile since we have been working on the clean and jerk. It took a few warm up reps for me to feel comfortable and add on more weight. The goal of the complex was to focus on technique. I need to work on my shrug and keeping the bar close.

WOD 1 - 7 Minute Time Cap

4 rounds for time

15 hang power snatches (75 lb.)
30 double unders

My goal for this workout was to finish under time cap. I scaled the snatches to 75 lb. from 95 lb. The first round was good. I went through the snatches fairly quickly but I could feel my grip weakening. The double unders didn't give me any trouble, but I was out of breath by the end of it. I was only able to finish three rounds in seven minutes.

WOD 2 - 7 Minute AMRAP

5 lateral burpees
15 overhead squats (95 lb.)

This workout was just as difficult as the previous one.  The burpees weren't too bad but the overhead squats were giving me trouble. My wrist started to hurt even with the wrist wraps but I tried to power through it. I was also tried from the previous workout which is why I didn't do as well in this workout. I finished two rounds and five burpees.

Wednesday

Front Squats - 3 at 60% (135 lb.), 3 at 65% (185 lb.), 3 at 70% (205 lb.), 3 at 75% (225 lb.)

Squats felt great. Worked on form and keeping my elbows up. Also worked on keeping a full grip on the bar and not letting it rest on my fingers.

WOD - "Squat Monster"

4 rounds for time

Run (400 m)
50 air squats

My legs were still tight from the front squats so I tried to loosen them up before we started this workout. I knew I had to pace the run and I would have to break up the air squats somehow. The first two rounds of the workout were okay. My run pace wasn't too bad I did it in 2:00 - 2:30 and the air squats were done in sets of 25's. After the second round, my pace stated to slow down. My 400 m time was slower by at least 30 seconds, and I had to break up the air squats into sets of 10. I finished the workout in 18 minutes but I didn't feel good about my time. After checking out Beyond the Whiteboard, I realized I PR'd my time. This instantly gave me a boost of confidence. I came in second to last but I felt great. Seeing progress always picks me up. I hope to at least finish under 17 minutes next time we do this workout.

Farmer Carry - 15 lb. Bumper Plates

Ending our day we had to do a pinch grip bumper plate farmer carry. I was exhausted from the previous workout that I decided to only use 15 lb. I only dropped the weight twice which is a big improvement from the last time. My grip was also failing by the first 100 m, my hand started cramping. I hope I'll be able to go up to 25 lb. the next time we do farmer carries.

Thursday

Skill Work - Handstand Walk and Rings

Thursday's skill work was the same as last week Tuesday. I've made some improvements over last week in the handstand walk drill. I was able to complete a clockwise and counter clockwise rotation without stopping. Last week I was only able to complete one rotation before I had to stop. 

5 sets - 2 second lockout
5 ring push ups
5 ring dips (strict)
5 handstand push ups (strict)

After the handstand walks, I started on the rings. The hardest part was the ring dips. I'm able to do a few dips strict but not many. I was able to finish three rounds before I had to scale. The ring push ups and handstand push ups were not too bad. I struggled on the last set but I managed to finish. 

WOD 

4 rounds, 2 minutes per station, "Fight Gone Bad" Style

Row
Wall balls (20 lb.)
1 minute rest

The goals for this workout were 450 m on the row and 25 wall balls. I was able to reach both goals every round but it wasn't easy. After Wednesday's air squat workout, my legs were sore and the row and wall balls were not helping either. I pushed myself throughout this workout and I'm happy with the results. I hope to increase my goals to 500 m and 30 wall balls next time. 

Friday

WOD

30 toes to bar
--then--
2 rounds:
15 hang power cleans (95 lb.)
15 box jumps
15 push press (95 lb.)
--then--
30 toes to bar

After a short warm up we started the workout. The format today is a bit different, with the WOD being first and the strength portion after. The hardest part of the workout was going to be the toes to bar. I have been working on body weight movements and have made improvements but I'm not great at them yet. I tried to break up the toes to bar into three sets of ten but I couldn't hold onto the bar. I ended up doing two sets of ten and two sets of five.

I was a bit slow during the middle portion of the workout. The hang power cleans were a bit harder than expected. My grip started to fail around the tenth rep and I had to drop the bar. I kept trying to get a hook grip but I couldn't pull it off. I need to work on that. I took my time on the box jumps, only doing step ups. The push press was the easiest part of this workout. I was able to go unbroken during the first round. The second round was just as hard. My grip was still bad and I had to break up the cleans into three sets. The box jumps were consistent and the push press were broken up into two sets.

The last set of toes to bar were the hardest part of this workout. I wasn't consistent in my reps only doing a few at a time. I think this portion of the workout was also the longest, taking up a lot of time on the clock. I eventually finished in 14:45, but I was not done. We still had some bench press sets to do.

Bench Press  - 7x6 at 70% (175 lb.)

I wasn't able to do all sets at 70%. My body was tired from the previous workout  and I was only able to complete five sets at 70%.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment