NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled) - October 26 - November 1

Monday

Warm Up

15-12-9

Single arm kettlebell deadlift (54 lb.)
Russian kettlebell swing (54 lb.)
Single arm kettlebell deadlift (54 lb.)
Goblet squat (54 lb.)

This was a hard warm up. The weight was a bit heavy for a warm up but I was going to take it slow and not rush it. The hardest movement was the single arm kettlebell deadlift. I would be able to do a few reps but I would loose balance easily. I'm not sure if my form was correct, but I tried to keep a neutral spine and hinge at the hips. The strength portion for today included front squats so I made sure to warm up my legs doing goblet squats. I finished around six minutes.

Strength/Skill - 2 Front Squats + Jerk, 3x2 at 60% (135 lb.), 3x2 at 70% (155 lb.)

Another fun weightlifting complex to start the week. After a light warm up I started on my first set. We only had 25 minutes to complete this section and I used half of it setting up and warming up. Each set was done with a short rest in between which made the last set of 70% harder than expected.

WOD - Power Clean Cindy, Time Cap: 15 minutes

10 power cleans (135 lb.)
--then--
5 rounds of:
5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 air squats
--then--
10 power cleans (135 lb.)
--then--
5 rounds of;
5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 air squats
--then--
10 power cleans (135 lb.)

I wasn't able to finish this workout under time cap. I was able to get through two rounds in the last set of Cindy. The hardest part of this workout was the air squats. After front squats in the strength section, I wasn't able to finish the air squats quickly. My legs started cramping up during the second set of Cindy and I had to break them up.

Weighted Plank Hold - 3x60 seconds, 35 lb.

Ended the night with some weighted plank holds. With all the push ups we just did, I wasn't sure if I would be able to hold a plank for 60 seconds. I was able to complete the first set but had to break up the next two. I rested for about five to ten seconds.

Wednesday


Sumo Deadlift - Find a three rep heavy

I haven't done many sumo deadlifts, and I wasn't sure how heavy I could go. I slowly worked up to a heavy three rep of 295 lb. which is lower than my regular deadlift three rep. A few factors could have contributed to my lower weight. My in experience with the lift is probably the biggest issue. I felt off balance at times, and my pulls didn't feel great. Another issue was my grip. The bar I used did not have center knurling and I couldn't hold the bar for too long. I used a hook grip but it only helped a bit. I went a bit heavier to 315 lb. but was only able to complete one rep. 

WOD - 21-15-9

Single arm kettlebell swing (54 lb.)
Box jump (30 in.)
Single arm kettlebell swing (54 lb.)

I wasn't going to Rx this workout but I decided to push myself. The hardest part of the workout was going to be the box jumps. I'm 5'6" and 30 in. is tall for me. I wouldn't be able to do step ups and I would have to jump. Also, I wouldn't be able to step down. I had to jump off while placing my hands on top of the box. I wasn't too worried about the kettelbell swings but I knew I would be tired by the second round. I finished the workout in 7:56.

Thursday

Power Clean Skill Work

The skill work for today was power clean positioning. We worked on three positions, ground, above knee and power. 

Three Position Power Clean  - Find a 1 rep heavy

After the short skill work, we loaded plates on the bars. My main goal was to work on technique and foot work. I started at 95 lb. and worked up to 195 lb. I noticed a few things while lifting. The bar would loop out as the weight got heavier. It also happened more on the hang and power power positions. I need to work on keeping the bar close to my body, keeping my elbows high. I was also rushing my first pull. Slowing down that pull really helped. 

WOD

4 rounds for time:

Run, 300 m
Overhead walking lunge with a plate, 40 m (35 lb. - 45 lb.)

Even though the distance seems short, walking lunges are no joke. I started with a 45 lb. plate but after the second round I had to use a lighter 35 lb. plate. My quads were on fire and I was taking too long to complete the lunges with a 45 lb. plate. I finished this workout in 17:56. 

Lift Heavy and Level Up!










Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment