NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): August 14 - August 20


After writing about highlights for the week, I decided to go back to writing about each workout. I wanted to read about a previous workout but I didn't write about it. This has inspired me to document all the workouts like my previous posts. I'm going to skip over the previous weeks since I only went once. If you want to see my workout week, check out my Beyond the Whiteboard profile.

Monday

Overhead Squat - 6x2 at 80% (185 lb.)

Lately, my hips have been feeling really tight. I haven't been doing much mobility at home or after class and I think it is catching up to me. I took a long time warming up my legs and hips but I felt a lot better after. 135 lb. and 155 lb. felt heavy but at least my legs were holding up. I was able to keep a good form. At 185 lb. it started to get tough. My first set was not strong. After finishing two reps, I wanted to drop the weight to 175 lb. but I decided against it. I did a few quick mobility drills and did my second set. This set felt a lot better than the first and I went through it quickly with good form. I felt a bit shaky but it was not too bad. I was only able to complete four sets before time ran out. 

WOD

CFG Open 11.4 - AMRAP 10 Minutes

60 burpees over bar
30 overhead squats (120 lb.)
10 muscle ups

This was my first time doing this workout. Immediately, I knew the burpess were going to be difficult. I'm still slow when it comes to burpees. The 120 lb. overhead squat would not have been too heavy but I was not that confident. I was predicting maybe two to five muscle ups.

The workout started and I tried to find a rhythm. It was smooth for the first thirty reps but I started to feel winded. I started slowing down on each rep but I kept going and pushed through. I was exhausted but I was able to start the overhead squats. I snatched the weight and started to do five reps. In hindsight, I should have cleaned and set up for the overhead squat from the back. My wrist was giving me problems and I could only do a few reps at a time. At time cap, I only finished 20 reps.

Friday

Partner WOD - AMRAP, 16 Miniutes

20 handstand push ups
30 box jumps
400 m row

I walked into the box at 1645 and decided to start some mobility drills as I waited for the 1730 class to start. While warming up, my father calls me over to his overhead squat stations and asks me to be his partner for the workout. Working out with my dad is always fun so I agreed and started warming up for the workout. I would do the overhead squats at the beginning of the next class.

We decided to split the reps in half. 10 handstand push ups, 15 box jumps and 200m on the rower. Our goal for this workout was to finish four rounds. Dad was a little skeptical that we would finish and I wasn't sure if I could keep the pace. Regardless, I was going to do my best.

Not doing the overhead squats helped me get through this workout. My shoulders and legs were not tired going into it. I was able to do the handstand push ups and box jumps unbroken. Also, I was able to keep a 1:40 /500m pace on the rower. My dad was also able to go unbroken on his reps. We pushed hard and finished 4 + 25 reps at the time cap.

After the workout, I did not have the energy to complete the overhead squats. Also, my hips were a bit tight so I decided to take a rest.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment