NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): September 11 - September 17

If you want to see my workout week, check out my Beyond the Whiteboard profile.

Tuesday

Back Squat - Find a Heavy Set of 5

My goal for this back squat session was to beat my numbers from last week. I lifted 120 kg. for five, so today I was shooting for 125 kg. I warmed up to 100 kg and added 10 kg each set. My form felt off but I focused and was able to do a few reps that felt better. I was able to lift 120 kg without much trouble but I did stick around the fifth rep. I added 5 kg and started my lifts. I was able to complete the first two reps without issue. The weight felt heavy at rep four and five but I was able to stand them up. I wasn't confident enough to add more weight and stopped at 125 kg. I was able to reach my goal but I didn't feel 100%.

WOD - Fight Gone Bad Style

5 Rounds, 1 Minute Per Station

Box Jumps
Wall Balls
Row (Cals.)
Rest 1 Minute

After the heavy squats we had a killer leg workout. I knew the box jumps and wall balls were going to be the hardest movements to keep consistent. I didn't want to scale the box jumps either. I wanted to make sure I jump and not step up.

I finished the first round with 16 box jumps, 17 wall balls, and 14 calories on the wall balls. I was shooting for a total of 50 reps. I came up short and it was tough to reach those numbers. I decided to lower my reps on the wall balls and box jumps and try to increase the calories on the rower. The next  three rounds were 40, 34 and 38 reps. I couldn't maintain the reps on the wall balls and box jumps. I would do a few and then rest for five seconds. My legs were on fire and I couldn't push through it like I wanted to. After the third round I was dissatisfied with my score. I had to increase my intensity but I was already getting more tired. I was able to increase my reps on the fourth round and in the fifth round I was able to complete 40 reps. I was exhausted but I was able to come back from giving up and finish the workout. 

Wednesday

Snatch - Find a 1 Rep Heavy

I haven't done heavy snatches in a while and my wrist was not 100%. My last heavy snatch and PR was at 171 lb. but I knew I wasn't going to hit a number that close. My focus was to maintain good form and go as heavy as I could.

I started out at 40 kg and worked up to 60 kg. At 60 kg, I could feel the strain on my right wrist. I completed the lift and added 5 kg. I completed the lift but I had to struggle to save it. I was able to stand it up but I could still feel the pain in my wrist. I loaded another 5 kg on the bar and attempted a rep and failed. I wasn't moving as quickly as I should have and it showed. I wasn't able to get under the bar but I set up for another attempt. The next attempt was the same, a miss. I was dissappointed but I understood. I haven't been doing heavy snatches and I'm not used to them. It's going to take some time but I'll be lifting at my previous weights.

Clean and Jerk Complex - 5x1 at 85% (90 kg)

2 Power Cleans + 1 Split Jerk

The percentage was taken from my power clean 1RM at about 104 kg. The power cleans were heavier than expected. I was able to complete the first rep quickly but the second rep took a lot more effort. The jerk felt awkward at first but by the third or fourth set, I was able to smooth out the lift.

Overall, my clean and jerks were better than my snatches. I'm not surprised, we have been doing more cleans and not a lot of snatch work. The barbell club programming is a lot of fun and will try and incorporate some of the lifting sessions with the classes.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment