NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): October 24 - October 30

Monday

Snatch - 4 at 60% (45 kg), 4 at 70% (53 kg), 3x4 at 75% (57 kg)

I haven't done much snatching since I've been back. It took a few warm up reps to get used to it and I started on my percentages. Overall, I felt great at these weights. I didn't miss a rep and was able to get through this fairly quickly. It was a lot more reps than what I was used to however but I took some time in between to rest up.

4 Cleans + 1 Jerk - 1 at 60% (62 kg), 1 at 70% (72 kg), 1 at 75% (77 kg)

This was just as hard as the snatches but I was able to pick it up. I'm more comfortable with heavy cleans than snatches. I didn't need much of a warm up and went right into my first set. This workout wasn't as bad since I had cut out two of my last three sets. I had to leave early. Four cleans are tough especially at the higher weights.

Wednesday

Bench Press - 5x5 at a heavy set of 5

My previous weight for this workout was 185 lb. but I wasn't sure if I would be able to complete a set. I warmed up and loaded 185 lb. on the bar. I was only able to complete three reps. This was not a big surprise since I haven't been doing much bench presses. 

WOD - For Time

Row (1000 m)
50 pistol squats
30 hang power cleans (135 lb.)

I wasn't sure how well I was going to do in this workout. The pistol squats were going to be tough and would probably slow me down. I wasn't too worried about the cleans or the row, I'm sure I would be able to get through them without much trouble. My pace for the row was about two minutes per 500 m. I finished the row at about 4:10. The pistol squats were tough but I broke the sets into 10 reps. I took some time in between each set so I could catch my breath but I took a lot longer than expected. The 30 hang cleans were not too bad. I broke it up into sets of 10 reps which were manageable. My goal was to finish within 15 minutes but I finished in 16:17.

Saturday 

Power Snatch - 2 at 60% (45 kg), 2 at 65% (49 kg), 2x3 at 70% (53 kg)

This was easier than Monday. The heavier Monday session was just what I needed to get better at my Olympic lifts.

Power Clean + 2 Jerks -  1 at 60% (62 kg), 1 at 65% (67 kg), 1x3 at 70% (72 kg)

Started to feel the fatigue in my arms at the 70% weight but it wasn't an issue. 

Back Squat - 3 at 60% (225 lb.), 3 at 70% (275 lb.), 3x3 at 80% (305 lb.)

This was my biggest workout of the day. I haven't squatted anything heavy in awhile. The last time I attempted a heavy back squat was back in July. I was a little nervous but I wanted to hit some numbers. My first set for the workout was okay, I wasn't too worried about 225 lb. My second set however was a bit worrying. The three reps at 70% were a lot harder than what I remember. I wasn't sure if it was because of the time between lifts or if my warm up was too short but I decided to move forward and go to 80%.

My July workout was 6x3 at 80% (305 lb.) and I felt great doing it. This gave me some confidence. I completed the first set but it was tough. I wasn't sure if I would be able to finish the rest of the sets. I took a few minutes to get some air and rest before going on to set two. I was able to finish two reps before racking the weight. It was too much and I almost needed a spot. I decided to stop there and end the workout. After reflecting on the workout, I realized that I needed to slowly get back to squatting. I should have gone up to 75% instead but I wanted to see if I could handle my weights from only a few months ago. I'm confident that after a few more sessions in the squat rack, I'll be back to my old self.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment