NerdFit Guam

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

My Week As Rx (Probably Scaled): July 11 - July 17


Tuesday

WOD - Every 1:30 for 15 minutes

100 m run with medicine ball (16 lb.)
10 wall balls (16 lb.)

When I read the workout I thought it was alternating movements. I thought it was a piece of cake until the coaches explained the workout. It was a lot of work and since I haven't been doing much cardio, this workout was going to hurt. I decided to use a 16 lb. medicine ball but I should have went lighter. 14 lb. or 8 lb. would have been more manageable. The first few rounds went well. I was getting my run done under 30 seconds and I would finish the wall balls with about 40 seconds of rest. At the half way mark, my performance went downhill. I would finish the run around 40 seconds and only do about five wall balls or less. It was very tough and I wanted to finish but I didn't have it in me.

I learned a few things from this workout. The first lesson was read the workout carefully. My mindset going into it was a lot more relaxed and I should have mentally prepared for it. The second lesson was that I need to do more than just barbell club. I've noticed my lifts have gotten better but my endurance have gotten worse. I need to find a good balance. Lastly, I should have went with my gut and got a lighter ball. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made but I shouldn't have gone that heavy if I couldn't finish all the reps.

Shoulder Taps from High Plank - 3 Minutes

After that brutal workout, this wasn't too bad. I was able to finish 76 reps at the end of three mintues. 

Wednesday

Deadlift - 6x3 at 80% (350 lb.)

I wasn't sure how these deadlifts were going to go. I haven't been doing conventional deadlifts lately and all my pulls are done at lighter weights. I worked up to my 80% and managed to not break my form. I made sure my form wasn't compromised for all sets and it felt great to deadlift relatively heavy again.

Partner WOD - 25 Minute TC

3 km Row
150 sit up with med. ball (4 lb.)
200 air squats
100 kb swings

This was fun and I partnered with my fiance. I wanted to split the row into 500 m sets but she advised against it saying 250 m would be a better distance. We used a light medicine ball (4 lb.) for the sit ups. *Spoiler Alert* we did not make it to the kb swings so the weights are not important.

The row started off great. 500 m sets would have sucked and thankfully she had enough foresight to only go 250 m. I was able to catch my breath between sets and it wasn't too bad. The sit ups were more difficult than the row. My abs started to cramp up around rep 80 or so. I would need to take a short rest before resuming. The air squats is where we stopped at the time cap. We made it through 160 air squats at time. We had to take short breaks since the rest between sets were not enough. I'm happy with our score since we pushed eachother to work hard. 

Thursday

Push Press - 6x3 at 80% (165 lb.)

Heavy push press session was great. I'm still learning some techniques but it felt great. It was heavy but I managed to get through all the reps.

Back Squat - 6x3 at 80% (305 lb.)

I remember when 305 lb. was around 95% of my 1RM now I'm doing them for three. The last half of the set I had some sticking points but I was able to get through them. My legs felt great. 

Snatch Pull - 3x3 at 85% (135 lb.)

Ended the day with some heavy pull work. I started working without straps since I wanted to get used to holding the weight again.

Lift Heavy and Level Up!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm from Guam. I'm an avid gamer and functional fitness exerciser. I'm not great at either but I do my best. I would describe myself as a huge nerd since I love most things you would find in typical nerd culture. I started doing CrossFit at CrossFit Gof Metgot in 2013 as a way to get my weight under control. I decided to change my exercise habits to lose that excess weight and be more fit. Hopefully my story inspires people to try out CrossFit.

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment